PDA

View Full Version : Domain registration

etlam34
12-11-2003, 12:57 PM
I want to start an online satellite shop. Should I buy a domain name or stay with my free web hosting from netfirms?

omar
12-11-2003, 02:02 PM
why would you want to build customer recognition in an asset that could be "stolen" because you didn't buy the name?

I vote for buy it.

konde
12-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Get a domain name. Here's where I registered mine:
http://www.easydns.com
I don't have my domain hosted anywhere yet, but I do use my domain name to have all email forwarded to me.

I_Want_My_HDTV
12-11-2003, 05:33 PM
There are literally hundreds maybe thousands of places that will register your domain name. Your ISP may be the best place to do it for you. Make sure that they guarantee that your domain name will be renewed before it expires. This is often overlooked. It can be a real hassle to get an expired domain name back if someone else registers it and wants money to buy it back.

BCTripster
12-11-2003, 07:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Make sure that they guarantee that your domain name will be renewed before it expires.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can setup auto-renewal, but it means the client must also provide us with a credit card for payment in advance or make sure they pay before it expires.

One of the problems for us who handle domain names is we have no recourse if we go and renew a domain for someone only to find out they didn't want it renewed or never bother paying for the renewal. While we can ask for deletion from the registrar none offer refunds to the reseller after 5 days.

Your best bet is a 10 year registration if you plan on keeping it that long.

mikealex
12-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Your best bet is a 10 year registration if you plan on keeping it that long.

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming you expect the registration company to be around that long. That's a bit of a gamble in the high tech industry these days.

BCTripster
12-11-2003, 09:48 PM
The longevity of the company you register the domain through won't matter much as unless they are an accredited ICANN registrar they are no more than a reseller anyway.

Domains registered with an OpenSRS reseller for example can be modified at either the resellers website or directly at OpenSRS.

I am not sure on the rules from ICANN on what happens with an insolvent registrar but I can't imagine it involving delisting the domains that have prepaid for X number of years.

That being said, try and avoid any registrar selling at say $5 a domain, considering that's below their wholesale cost from the ICANN system it doesn't take a math genius to see the flaw in their business plan.

I do have clients with 5+ year domain registrations now, some of those transferred those domains to me from another registrar who was not paid by my old employer for the domains he resold, the registrar did not cancel any of the end-user domains however.

I am not aware of any regsistrar who has folded other than being gobbled up by another.

etlam34
12-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Should I buy only the Domain Name or a package (Hosting + Domain)?

mikealex
12-11-2003, 10:48 PM
The longevity of the company you register the domain through won't matter much as unless they are an accredited ICANN registrar they are no more than a reseller anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
But, don't the registrations have to be renewed annually. Then, if you've prepaid the reseller for some number of years, isn't it up to them to renew it each year? That was my point. If you've prepaid for 10 years, and they go under after 5, then your domain isn't going to be renewed for the last 5 years.

Note: Trip is in a MUCH better position to know how this works than I am, so take his word over mine on this subject.

BCTripster
12-11-2003, 11:12 PM
But, don't the registrations have to be renewed annually

[/ QUOTE ]

ICANN allows you to register up to 10 years in advance, when a reseller submits a multi-year registration the years paid are paid up front. So if a client comes and requests a 5 year registration for example then I would have to pay OpenSRS up front for the years.

As I said though, I am unaware of ICANN policies should a registrar fold, but I imagine any domains in the registrars databases would be covered for the term paid. So far the worst that has happened is merging registrars and I haven't heard anyone losing registration because of it.

For the 2 registrars I currently use for suppliers both require me to deposit funds in advance before purchasing, so I cannot run up any debts to the registrars that way, works for me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif