PDA

View Full Version : New *C Packages?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 02:21 PM
With all of the new channels they're coming out with, has StarChoice indicated at all how they plan to package them? I would love it if they went to LookTV's strategy - Basic + $10 for 10 channels, $11 for 11, etc... I am sick of paying for a bunch of channels I don't want just so that I can get one or two that interest me. I would be happy to pay if all of the channels were actually my selections. After all, isn't their marketing slogan "It's Your Choice"? I guess I'm dreaming... MIKE

chrisj
09-06-2001, 02:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mscholman:
With all of the new channels they're coming out with, has StarChoice indicated at all how they plan to package them? I would love it if they went to LookTV's strategy - Basic + $10 for 10 channels, $11 for 11, etc... I am sick of paying for a bunch of channels I don't want just so that I can get one or two that interest me. I would be happy to pay if all of the channels were actually my selections. After all, isn't their marketing slogan "It's Your Choice"? I guess I'm dreaming... MIKE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what if you wanted their 300+ channels? Would that be $300? http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 02:48 PM
I suspect that if people could actually choose only the channels they wanted, nobody would want 50% of those offered. Anyway, the LookTV strategy is Base + $10 for 10, $11 for 11... $20 for everything. Additional charges applied for premium services. I'm not saying that $20 would be fair for everything *C offers - just that I should be able to select just the channels I want rather than preset packages. After all, they're marketing slogan is "It's your choice" not "It's our packages".

Chaos
09-06-2001, 02:58 PM
By looking at LookTV's balance sheet, this strategy doesn't seem to work too well.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 03:05 PM
Is that because of how they package their channels, or their technology? How about the fact that in many established areas, a 40' tower is required to receive their signal reliably? If all things were equal on the technology front, I believe they would have a winning combination.

MIKE

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 03:37 PM
It may very well be a question of lesser technology but I still wonder if pick'n'pay wouldn't result in significantly reduced revenues. Given the capital intensive nature of this business, and the fact that neither BEV nor SC are making any money at this point, I can't see how it would be in their or our collective interest. After all, we want them to be profitable, do we not?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 03:37 PM
I have to agree with Mike. If the only problem Look had was the way it packaged channels, they could have easily changed that. Their problems go deeper than channel packaging.

As SC_Guy has said in the past, the loosers in this model are the weaker, less popular channels. Where I differ from SC_Guy is that I beleive that all channels should be able to support themselves without the "subsidy" of packaging.

To SC_Guy: I think I have your position right, if not I apologise for possibly putting words in your mouth.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 05:00 PM
Quality,

Sort of like trying to buy any vehicle without air conditioning, AM/FM/CD player, power windows/door locks, heated seats, ABS, traction/stability control, air bags and so on. With each passing model year, more and more equipment is becoming standard issue. Yes, autos cost a lot more than they did thirty years ago but, when all is said and done, most consumers are happy with the total package.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 05:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XBR II:
Quality,

Sort of like trying to buy any vehicle without air conditioning, AM/FM/CD player, power windows/door locks, heated seats, ABS, traction/stability control, air bags and so on. With each passing model year, more and more equipment is becoming standard issue. Yes, autos cost a lot more than they did thirty years ago but, when all is said and done, most consumers are happy with the total package.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, you could also look at Dell, a company that has leveraged available technology to become very successful - allowing you to custom order a PC over the web with the options of your choosing and receive it within 10 days with little human intervention. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

In the end, it's all about choice. Until StarChoice can offer their customers the freedom to choose, their Marketing slogan is somewhat inaccurate. Their choices are not mine... MIKE

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 05:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XBR II:
Sort of like trying to buy any vehicle without air conditioning....more and more equipment is becoming standard issue<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL...I would think it would be easier to switch off Crossroads than it would be to rip the A/C out of a Cordoba. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 05:28 PM
more and more equipment is becoming standard issue... most consumers are happy with the total package.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The main difference is that a car (or a computer) is a manufactured peice of equipment built and sold once... Channel packages are a programmed service - dynamic and easily modified. MIKE

Arthur
09-06-2001, 05:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quality Is Job One:
Rant mode on....

I'd love to be able to weed-whack many channels & get a lower bill. Many are either blocked out or never see any eyeballs.

Right now I feel like I'm paying for the full buffet & just having dessert! http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

The problem is that StarChoice almost forces you to take Platinum to get at the few channels that you want.

By paying the whole load each month, I feel cheated by paying $$$ to channels that I don't support, believe in or give a RA about!

Rant mode off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quality
I think you would make an excellent C band customer, all that free music and radio, order channels one at a time. http://www.satellitecentre.net/GLANCE.HTM

Could I offer you a 921? http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 05:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arthur:
Quality
I think you would make an excellent C band customer, all that free music and radio, order channels one at a time.
Could I offer you a 921? http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, our sub-division, Snob Heights, doesn't allow BUD's. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

IMO allowing subs to pick 'n pay would be a very positive development for DTH.

Having subs select their channels vs being force fed their channels would be a very powerful information for the channels to have when selling advertising.

i.e. It would be easier to sell ads for a channel that has a smaller number of interested subs than a large number of subs that could be/are likely watching 374 other channels. JMO

[This message has been edited by Quality Is Job One (edited 09-06-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 07:42 PM
I think every DTH viewer would like the option to take both packages and a-la carte. There are many ways to configure a-la-carte billing to cut down on channel churn (bill on 3-month or annual basis etc).
As to concerns about technical difficulties with individual billings, I can't believe that those difficulties would be as bad as what they're going to have to do for video-on-demand (the heralded golden rainbow for DTH and cable providers.)

In my view, a-la-carte makes a lot more sense now with the Category 2 channels. The CRTC seemed to have designed this category for sink-or-swim. And, if you look at their CRTC mandates, these channels are really small-niche oriented. If end result is a total package in the $70+ range, of if they try to charge more than $1 or so a month for a new channel on an a-la -carte basis, I think there will be big problems.

As to Look, the a-la-carte option with Look was the main reason I was planning to get that service. Look was the only service available to me where you could pick a US superstation or Moviepix without having to subscribe to the premium movie package. Unfortunately, I didn't get off my duff in time so now I've got EVu where I'm essentially paying $4.95 to $19.95 a month for each channel (there are few packages in which I want more than 1 of the channels).
The only real downsides with Look from a viewer's point of view, assuming you had line of sight as I do, were the lack of time-shifting ability for most channels and the relative fewer channels available.

ratovan
09-06-2001, 07:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill909:
As to Look, the a-la-carte option with Look was the main reason I was planning to get that service. Look was the only service available to me where you could pick a US superstation or Moviepix without having to subscribe to the premium movie package. Unfortunately, I didn't get off my duff in time so now I've got EVu where I'm essentially paying $4.95 to $19.95 a month for each channel (there are few packages in which I want more than 1 of the channels).
The only real downsides with Look from a viewer's point of view, assuming you had line of sight as I do, were the lack of time-shifting ability for most channels and the relative fewer channels available.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually LOOk in Quebec you could't take Superstations UNLESS you took TMN, however you did have one superstation(WSBK) available as a pick and pay option. I had LOOK and loved the PQ but the receiver left alot to be desired and the channel selection is what finally made me make the switch to BEV.

Danks
09-06-2001, 07:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mscholman:
Of course, you could also look at Dell, a company that has leveraged available technology to become very successful - allowing you to custom order a PC over the web with the options of your choosing and receive it within 10 days with little human intervention. [snip] MIKE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TEN DAYS???!!! It is to laugh. My DELL arrived in more like three weeks and was DOA to boot!! Never another Dell for me . . . although they did make it right . . . it took another week to get the required main board replacement installed.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 08:14 PM
My Dell technician and I spent a lot of "quality time" together... the darn thing never worked right from day one... first they replaced the hard drive, then the memory and ultimately the mother board, all in the first month.

When it came time to buy a new laptop, Dell wasn't even on the list of choices... only ThinkPads for me, from now on.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 11:16 PM
My Dell technician and I spent a lot of "quality time" together... the darn thing never worked right from day one... first they replaced the hard drive, then the memory and ultimately the mother board, all in the first month.

When it came time to buy a new laptop, Dell wasn't even on the list of choices... only ThinkPads for me, from now on.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still think Dell desktops are one of the best you can buy. Although I had problem with my Dell Desktop the first month. But it was not Dell's fault it was the tech's fault. He didn't even use a ESD mat or ESD strap to protect the motherboard and other stuff from being damaged. Anyway I like Dell's Desktops because if I need to add/fix something I have a crap load of room to work with. Compaq are just terrible, you need a pair of twizers to fix things in there. HP and IBM are also pretty good. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-07-2001, 04:04 AM
What if Pick 'n Pay was just one option... Perhaps a Premium option... Say packages still cost $6.95, but the "Pick 'n Pay" package started higher - say, $20 for 20 channels - Total $35.99/mo. If the average Silver customer currently spending $26.99 for $9.00 more could have the freedom to choose, maybe they would. What do you think?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-07-2001, 04:13 AM
You could also argue that someone currently subscribing to the Essentials at $15.99/mo may not want to pay $26.99 for Silver because there are too many unwanted channels, but would pay $10 more for 10 channels of their choosing... I think that describes me... MIKE

**DONOTDELETE**
09-07-2001, 04:29 AM
However they would go about structuring the P'n'P option, rest assured someone here would bitch about it. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I also wonder about all the overhead involved in managing such a system (I'd hate to be the one to come up with the billing system). And can you just imagine the call load when subscribers begin tinkering with their choices?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-07-2001, 04:36 AM
Here's a revolutionary Y2K kind of concept - What if you could manage your account over the web - change channel selections, check your billing, etc... and the billing was calculated by these new fangled "computer" thingees http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/wink.gif MIKE

**DONOTDELETE**
09-07-2001, 04:46 AM
Rant mode on....

I'd love to be able to weed-whack many channels & get a lower bill. Many are either blocked out or never see any eyeballs.

Right now I feel like I'm paying for the full buffet & just having dessert! http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

The problem is that StarChoice almost forces you to take Platinum to get at the few channels that you want.

By paying the whole load each month, I feel cheated by paying $$$ to channels that I don't support, believe in or give a RA about!

Rant mode off.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-07-2001, 04:54 AM
Here's a revolutionary Y2K kind of concept - What if you could manage your account over the web - change channel selections, check your billing, etc... and the billing was calculated by these new fangled "computer" thingees http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/wink.gif MIKE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just visiting the *C website, where they do say, "Star Choice gives you the freedom to manage your account* from your keyboard. Soon you'll be able to review your billing history, review the services you currently have, order and modify your line-up, and order Viewer's Choice Pay Per View movies and events." Good for them! This may make the cost of managing a Pick 'n Pay system feasible.

Danks
09-07-2001, 11:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SC sub:

I still think Dell desktops are one of the best you can buy. Although I had problem with my Dell Desktop the first month. But it was not Dell's fault it was the tech's fault. He didn't even use a ESD mat or ESD strap to protect the motherboard and other stuff from being damaged. Anyway I like Dell's Desktops because if I need to add/fix something I have a crap load of room to work with. Compaq are just terrible, you need a pair of twizers to fix things in there. HP and IBM are also pretty good. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beats me why you feel satisfied then. How did you know the tech did not use grounding unless your new machine needed a service call at your home or office in the first place. I have no especial axe to grind with DELL. Just that I had two problems with two motherboards in the first month. I failed to see what I was getting for the extra money DEll was charging over a clone assembled to my specs by local shops. As for HP and Compaq and lack of interior workspace . . . they are proprietary systems and can be tough to work with period.
I prefer to get a case larger than I really need and stick with clone components. Easier to buy stuff for and the extra room is nice when it comes time to get inside and work on the system.

Now, back to matters of DTH . . . ;&gt; )