PDA

View Full Version : PowerStrip setting for Radeon 9800 Pro-DVI to JVC

**DONOTDELETE**
12-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Okay, i have been playing around trying to hook up my Radeon 9800Pro to the DVI in on my JVC tv. I have powestrip installed, although i'm not very familiar with using it. Also have a 17" flat panel connected via the VGA out on my video card. now, i was able to get the picture to come in on my tv, the resolution in the ati control panel says 1920X1080 and can not be adjusted. This also leaves my monitor with a scrolling desktop. so here are my questions.

1. can i use clone mode with the DVI out to the tv? basically using my flat panel as the other monitor with seperate resolution? i tried this briefly, but couldn't get past the scrolling desktop.

2. how can i ensure that my video card will not try to switch to dvi when connected? for some reason after trying a few things, when i have the flat panel hooked up as my monitor and the dvi, it turns off the signal to the flat panel, goes to the dvi, but the display does not come up. the input on the tv just keeps flickering.

3. does powerstrip have setting for clone mode or dual monitor displays? if so, how does this work?

any input that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. i've tried searching for these questions, but have been able to make heads or tales of some posts.

fish.

I_Want_My_HDTV
12-10-2003, 10:49 AM
From the RADEON™ 9800 SERIES User’s Guide (http://www.ati.com/support/manualpdf/RADEON9800.pdf) ...

You can disable scrolling and enable scaling. You may need to reasign the primary display to get the desired result. You can also extend the desktop.

The video card will try to configure itself to whatever is connected. If more than one thing is connected it will try to configure both, if possible. To overide, go to the Display Properties in the Control Panel (or double click on the PowerStrip icon), select the Settings tab, click on the Advanced button and select the ATI Displays tab. You will be able to manually overide the display selection and primary display assignment there. This is explained in more detail on pp 6-10 of the user manual.

PowerStrip sets the display properties for the primary display. As far as I know, it knows nothing about dual displays. You might want to try some of the ATI HDTV resolutions on your HDTV.

MrVH
12-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Here (http://virtualhelp.virtualhelpelectronics.com/images/customers/htpc/videosettings.html) is a small tutorial I made for a customer with an ATI 9600PRO All-in-Wonder if you want to take a peak... it doesn't explain a lot, but it may help a little bit.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the link. I have been able set dual monitors up like you do in the guide, but when i connect the HDTV via the DVI, it locks the resolution at 1920X1080 and i can not change it. the problem is that i also get scrolling desktop on my flat panel display. i can change the resolution for the flat panel in the ATI control panel, but nothing happens, i just have this huge widescreen display on my monitor that scolls.

I am also wondering this, if i am using the DVI-HDTV, and using powerstrip for custom resolutions, am i stuck without the option to use my flat panel in clone mode? is this something that i'd have to basically turn on and off when switching between the two displays?

I_Want_My_HDTV
12-10-2003, 09:16 PM
I think that reasigning the primary display and enabling scaling, as described in the manual, will give you the result you want.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2003, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the tip. The problem i'm having now, is that when i connect both the tv and flat panel, my computer turns off the VGA output and only the DVI will work. problem being, the picture flickers on the TV, and i can't adjust anything without the second display working.

I_Want_My_HDTV
12-11-2003, 05:07 AM
You should be able to activate the VGA display manually from the ATI Displays tab as described above. It should stay set once it is done manually.