PDA

View Full Version : File Recovery Software

NewBoy
11-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Anyone know of a good file recovery program, preferably freeware(if there are any free ones), that can undelete files from a CD-R. I was trying to save additonal photographs on a CD-R disk and somehow only the new files are there. The old files have all been deleted. It appears that the old images have been written over by the new ones somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wishing4Sat
11-26-2003, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that an a CD-R you're out of luck when it comes to recovery, not a 100% positive but about 99%

EDIT: I stand corrected .. I did find a paid program MediaRevival 1.0 Media Revival 1.0 (http://www.onlimemedia.com/products/mediarevival/) never used but its an option. Did a quick search on google couldn't find any freeware options that would work for a CD-R(W)

HammerJoe
11-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Hmmm, can't you use some utility that reads directly the disk???

As far as I know a CD'r once written can't be deleted... maybe you created another session in the cd?

Cal
11-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Files can't be deleted from a CDR the way they can be from a CDRW. You just need some software that will read more then just the last session info. You need to be able to access the multi-session stuff.

I'm know this is right but I'm sure my wording is wrong here but hopfully you get the idea.

I think most burning software can read previous info and could reimport it back again.

I'm guessing that what you really did was create a new session on your Cdr without importing the previous session, hence you only see the new stuff.

This should be fairly easy to fix and get all your data back. Stick it back in your burner and see if you can import previous sessions.

Skyway
11-27-2003, 04:22 AM
I had a problem last year were I had burned my accounting data onto a CD and sent a copy of it to another computer on my home network as a back-up..

Then I formated the hard drive and re-installed windows..

Well when I went to use the Cd I burned it wasn't readable..

And when I went to the other network machine the files were not there either...possibly deleted by a teenager that didn't know what it was..

So I searched the web for a recovery program and found a number of them and even one that had a demo..

The demo would read the disc and report the presence of raw data..

I took the plunge and purchased one..

You wouldn't beleive how happy I was when the program worked to recover the data...

Saved me the task of re-entering all my accounting transactions for that year...

Here is the info page. (http://www.arrowkey.com/cddvd_diagnostic.html)