PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Kids show in the 60's: Archie Wood

Perogy
11-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Does anyone remember the Winnipeg based kids show from the 60's that was based on puppets, called Archie Wood and Friends? Bob Schwartz was the ventriloquist. I am interested in old photos / info on this. Searching the web finds nothing.

SatMike
11-11-2003, 08:12 PM
I believe Uncle Bob passed away a few ears ago.

Maybe contact CKY where the show was produced. They might be able to help.

DC_Guy
11-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Like so many other Manitoba kids, I grew up watching Uncle Bob on CKY... The show was produced in Winnipeg at the Polo Park studios.

You've gotta love the internet age, though... A quick Google search turned up a Yahoo group dedicated to the show! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archieandhisfriends/

Perogy
11-11-2003, 11:33 PM
a Yahoo group! incredible!!

I used to live in Wpg, and once I visited the CKY studios. I saw a "set" used by the show, and I was amazed!!

singing: Winchester Cathedrial!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
singing: How much is that doggie?????? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icom
11-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Hi,
I grew up watching Archie Wood, Uncle Bob /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifand Marvin the Mouse too. Just think of the horror I felt when someone told me they saw Uncle Bob kicking Archie down the hallways at the CKY studio.
Try this link for a pic of Archie Wood. I must say, I don't like the way they refer to Archie as a "moronic puppet"!!!!
http://www.otisfodder.com/365days/archive/188.html

Cheers,
Scott
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Todd_Sandrock
11-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Phil Harris -- "The Thing"

"Get out of here with that *boom* *boom* *boom*, before I call a cop!"

ClassicSat
11-12-2003, 04:12 PM
I'd have to look, but I have/had an LP record from that program.

Perogy
11-12-2003, 05:23 PM
The Yahoo group is GREAT!!! you can read the msgs without joining the group, but if you want to see the pics you have to join (its easy). You have to be authorized, but it took less than 24 hours for that. Worth it to see the cool pics.

SatMike
11-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Yeah, there are some pretty interesting tidbits there for those who have watched the show.

Interesting that his last name was really Swarts.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Hi all, great to still see some interest in a classic local tv show. check out the group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archieandhisfriends

I aprove all members and posts pretty fast, sorry about that but someone kept posting naughty links.

I am also working on re-creating the set for a permanent display in the future. Archie and the gang are all still in Winnipeg enjoying retirement, except Petite Uncle Bobs Mom has her in B.C.

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to try to answer them.

Moustache
07-30-2009, 09:17 PM
I have fond memories of the show and am glad to give you some information about it. The show ran on a local TV station in Winnipeg, CJAY-TV (now CKY-TV) from 1965 to 1986. It was from 12:00 noon to 1:00 PM Monday through Friday. Later in the mid 70s, an hour long show called Funtown was broadcast Sunday mornings. Bob Schwartz hosted both shows and the same characters appeared in both shows. Archie Wood was the main character but there were also a spotted dog named Petite, a poodle named Duchess, as well as Marvin Mouse, Tammy True and Robbie Robot.

Besides these puppets, Schwartz also had guests on his program doing arts and crafts and promoting health and safety. In the latter category Schwartz invented a character, not used as a puppet, Elmer the Safety Elephant. Elmer was a picture of an cute, smiling elephant in a sailor hat. He appeared on a green triangular flag that was flown on some schools temporarily. The flag circulated to various school that had to meet certain criteria to fly the flag. I can't remember what criteria had to be met, but I remember that my school was one that was permitted to fly the flag. It was flown from the flag pole under the Canadian flag.

Schwartz would make personal appearances at various functions throughout the year but mostly at Christmas. After the show went off the air, he retired and lived a quiet life until he passed away in 1991.

Moustache
07-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I just wanted to correct something in my post. I stated that Bob Schwartz invented Elmer the Safety Elephant. I was wrong. He did use the image on his show but did not invent the character. Elmer was actually invented in the late 40s to teach children about road safety. He was first used in Toronto in 1947. Just wanted to clear that up.

Perogy
08-04-2009, 12:34 AM
well, I can sleep better now :D

Dede
08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
I have fond memories of the show and am glad to give you some information about it.

Welcome to the board Moustache! Amazing how old threads can sometimes be brought back...

Moustache
08-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the welcome. However, if anyone else from Winnipeg is out there (and from the same era I am), I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happened to Miss Roma, who was the teacher on Romper Room in Winnipeg back in the late 60s.

All this talk about local childrens shows from that era got me reminiscing.

dishguy
08-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome. However, if anyone else from Winnipeg is out there (and from the same era I am), I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happened to Miss Roma, who was the teacher on Romper Room in Winnipeg back in the late 60s.

All this talk about local childrens shows from that era got me reminiscing.
You have more of a memory than I have.:D
I watched Romper Room back in the 60's but I couldn't have told you the name of the teacher.
I also thought they had many different ones.

By the way I never heard my name once during the "romper stomper bomper boo" sequence but I always figured that was because my mom made me sit back so far from the TV and she couldn't see me.:D

ClassicSat
08-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I remember seeing the Kitchener edition of Romper Room. I never watched it, for I was too old then. This was when You Can't Do That On TV was on CTV (at least CKCO) Saturday mornings.

I also watched TVO, and did get to see Polka-Dot-Door and that one with Nerene Virgin, that mannqin-cum-dancer Jeff, and the mouse and security guard puppets, which took place in a department store, and this British stop-motion animated series called the Wumples.

Moustache
08-07-2009, 02:25 PM
There were several different Romper Room shows, all of them local broadcasts that aired throughout Canada and the U.S. Miss Roma was the teacher on the Winnipeg Romper Room.

All the shows ended the same way with the teacher holding a magic mirror and reciting the poem that began "Romper Bomper Stomper Doo". Then she would recite the first names of the kids who would appear on the next program.

dishguy
08-07-2009, 03:37 PM
There were several different Romper Room shows, all of them local broadcasts that aired throughout Canada and the U.S. Miss Roma was the teacher on the Winnipeg Romper Room.

All the shows ended the same way with the teacher holding a magic mirror and reciting the poem that began "Romper Bomper Stomper Doo". Then she would recite the first names of the kids who would appear on the next program.
I was in Winnipeg.
I just don't remember a Miss Roma.
That last part was all I watched the show for.
I always wanted to here my name but "Ross" was not on the list I guess.

ClassicSat
08-10-2009, 01:55 PM

I though they were more regional. IIRC, the one from Kitchener was aired at least in Toronto and a few other CTV affiliates.

michaelrodents
06-20-2016, 08:05 PM
How did you do finding images? I have an old record lp. I am looking for a image of Robby the Robot from his show?