PDA

View Full Version : Little dark area on my monitor...

HammerJoe
10-29-2003, 04:41 PM
I noticed a small dark area in my monitor.
It is not completly dark, just darker than the rest of the screen.
That spot is still readable, but it is just annoying.

Any idea what can be the problem??
It is not dirt. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I_Want_My_HDTV
10-29-2003, 05:36 PM
What kind of monitor? LCD? CRT? Shadow mask? Aperture grill?

Gord
10-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Bell has a small camera mounted inside to keep an eye on you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HammerJoe
10-29-2003, 05:43 PM
/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif i am sorry.

It is a 17' Crt flat monitor.
Aperture 0.21mm...
As for shadow mask I have no idea...
Envision Monitors (http://www.envisionmonitor.com/default.asp)
Click on monitor en-770e to get the details.

Dede
10-29-2003, 06:59 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Any idea what can be the problem?? It is not dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting old and your eyesight is getting bad? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pauldryan
10-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Any idea what can be the problem??

[/ QUOTE ]
You were probably staring at that picture of the sun for too long and now your monitor has got a residual case of "sunspot"! I'd watch out for excess radiation and consider rubbing sunblock on the affected part of the screen. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

snoman
10-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Try degaussing your screen.

HammerJoe
10-30-2003, 03:31 PM
Try degaussing your screen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Done that.

I_Want_My_HDTV
10-30-2003, 11:41 PM
I had a TV like that once. It was only noticeable when a bright even colour was displayed. As far as I could tell it was a manufacturing defect in the phosphor that slightly affected the brightness of an area of the screen. It was a triangular shape near the top of the screen and made it look like a tornado was in the background in certain clear sky outdoor scenes. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

MeSat
10-31-2003, 05:40 PM
When did you purchase the monitor?

Was it there before or just started?

If it isn't a burn problem, then it looks like your shadow mask may be loose causing a misalignment of the electron guns.

If your monitor is new enough, get it exchanged sooner than later. Check the warranty as this is a manufacturing fault.

This shows the importance of checking montitors when taking out of a box.

HammerJoe
10-31-2003, 06:19 PM
I've had this computer for more than a year now.

I bought the monitor at Staples and I'm not sure I can find the receipt for it anymore, now that I moved.

But that spot is very recent...

MeSat
11-02-2003, 08:28 PM
How recent from the move did the spot appear?

I have seen internal degausers not work as well as an external one. If the problem is associated to your move, you may have had the monitor packed next to a magnetic source. This magnet may have magnetized the mask to a higher level than the internal degauser will work with.

Try degaussing the screen multiple times. You can also use a strong magnet to degauss a screen by moving the magnet around the screen in a random order and slowly moving away from teh screen. This can demagnetize the mask if done properly. I have done it on TV's but never on a computer monitor.

Have you tried adjusting the H and V location of the picture to see if the area moves? It is clutching at the fact that video card may be at fault.

HammerJoe
11-03-2003, 02:35 PM
I moved the x and y location and the spot remains at the same place despite that the picture moves...

Degaussing does nothing.

I will try to find a magnet to see if it does anything.

So you think there is the possibility of a video card problem?? hmmm interesting.

Thanks for the sugestions.

MeSat
11-03-2003, 05:15 PM
I moved the x and y location and the spot remains at the same place despite that the picture moves...

[/ QUOTE ]
Confirms that it is the monitor that is at fault. If the spot moved it could be signal related such as video card. As the spot stays put, the problem has to be after the video is processed.