PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

**DONOTDELETE**
10-28-2003, 03:46 AM
I've been a BEV subscriber for two years with one of the Super 7 packages. I installed the dish myself (dual LNBF, 20 inch) but have been mostly hands off ever since. I have some newbie questions so bear with me.

1) My signal strength has always been about 81%. I know it should be stronger but my picture has been clear until now so I never bothered to repoint. Now I have these fine, scrolling horizontal (slightly diagonal) lines. Is that related to signal strength? I thought with a digital signal, you either have it or you don't.

2) What is Nimiq 2? I have a second satellite in my Installation setup screen but it doesn't select it.

3) Am I supposed to do anything when BEV changes their channel line-up or do the new channels or rearranged channels automatically appear? It seems like I don't have all the channels I used to.

Thanks,

HK

deadfly
10-28-2003, 06:45 AM
81 is the best I ever got with the small dish. The lines you see sound more like interference. When a signal breaks up from too low a signal it becomes jerky or starts to get black blocks in the picture, picture will freeze that sort of thing.

Nimiq 2 is the second sat at 82 degrees. Has international channels, HD channels a few more galaxy channels. There should be a button on that menu labeled "check switch" Did you run that to make sure the SW 21 switch that switches between the two lnbfs is working OK?

Stuff is suppose to show up on it's own. I think a few things have been moved over to N2. Some things used to have an east and west feed but now only have one. The other I think moved to N2. I don't have a dual dish feed so I'm not sure if you have to call BEV and let them know when you add the second lnbf for N2, or if the receiver figures that out on it's own after you run the check switch.

Dede
10-28-2003, 01:28 PM
If skategoat installed his dish 2 years ago, it would be surprising to learn that he has a multiswitch installed!

SkateGoat, to get to see Nimiq 2, you'll either need a second dish pointed at 82 and a multiswitch or a new Bev elliptical dish with a multiswitch. Something like this! (http://www.kusat.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=194)