PDA

View Full Version : Good bye DigitalHomeCanada...

Bent
09-29-2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks Hugh, I really enjoyed it while it lasted, I wish you the best of luck in any future ventures (and adventures)

I will miss DHC. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

electricguy
09-29-2003, 05:51 AM
Sorry to hear that the digitalhome forum is has closed down

pauldryan
09-29-2003, 06:17 AM
He did remarkable growth in only two years. It's a shame that he couldn't get the commercial support from advertisers.

Paul

LivingLegend
09-29-2003, 06:18 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I will miss DHC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Canadian Sat TV and DHC have been my first two stops in my morning surf for more than three years, since I took my initial baby steps into researching the possibility of actually feeding an HD signal to my first gen Toshiba HDTV. I guess it will be here, and then on to AVS Forum now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

One great thing about the internet is that we don't have to rely on one source to be the gospel about anything anymore, and having multiple, distinct forums allows us to sample a wide range of opinions and biases, as well as cross-reference information. Especially with the information vacuum in Canada from any kind of official sources when it comes to HDTV.

It would be nice if there could be a way to at least keep the DHC forum alive. I don't know what kind of financial pressures Hugh was facing to keep his site running, but I know a Canadian-based hosting company like doteasy.com has a full database service, with php capability, cgi scripting, etc., 1000 MB of storage and 20 GIGS of monthly traffic, for about $130 CDN a year.

denelson83
09-29-2003, 07:01 AM
Hey, maybe Hugh might wanna hang around here if he has the time.

DavidH
09-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Anyone know of another discussion forum for digital cable issues? I was keeping abreast of things like future PVRs for Rogers, etc, at DigitalHome, and just discovered this morning that DigitalHome was gone.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-29-2003, 12:40 PM
It will be sad to see it go /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tat2
09-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Dammit.

THis and it were the two sites Ii visited every day. Mulitple times a day.

I really hope it gets bought and back up and running.

Maybe one of the mods from there will do it.

Or maybe members of there will get together and do it as a group.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-29-2003, 02:10 PM
I've made the move from DHC to here... I'm just happy that this forum exists!

travisc
09-29-2003, 02:36 PM
I was toying with the idea of putting an approximation of the DHC forums back together, mainly just focusing on digital cable and satellite, not worrying too much about the other stuff Hugh had on there. I could probably host it too. But is there any point, when there's already a forum like this? I know cable issues don't get discussed (except mainly for bashing) but the satellite stuff is nicely covered.

nfitz
09-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Is there any reason not to add a Digital Cable forum here? It was well used at Digital Home ... and we need a new home now.

Nick

austinsho
09-29-2003, 03:51 PM
Well...perhaps the fact that it's sponsored by a satellite dealer? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nfitz
09-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Does KU Satellites (http://http://www.kusat.com/) still sponser these forums? There is no reference to them anymore on their web site.

Any reason this place has to stay satellite-focused? There has always been some cable discussion in the HDTV Hardware &amp; Programming forum ... even in the charter ...

Nick

mikealex
09-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Yes, it is still owned and operated by Ku-Satellites. For proof, just look near the top of every page on the right, where it says "Sponsored by kusat.com". If you want even more proof, click on the banner-ad at the top of the page, and see where it takes you.

tat2
09-29-2003, 06:19 PM
And the kusat main page (past the intro if you click on the All other services) still has the link to here.

Personally I would like to see a Digital Cable fourm here as well, but only if the admins/ moderators and ultimatly the sponsor says it is OK.

Dede
09-29-2003, 06:22 PM
I have to add that I really admire Kusat's stance of *not* stuffing adds and promotion on every page.

tat2
09-29-2003, 06:23 PM
I like your idea too.

My favorite parts of DHC were

Digial Cable Disscusion (is 57 on this board? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Gallery (I was about to post there, i'll just activate my Rogers stuff and link to)

mikealex
09-29-2003, 06:23 PM
Ottawa doesn't deserve the Senators sinceits fans won't get out to support the team. ???

[/ QUOTE ] I'll second that!

Lsweers
09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
I will speak to the other admins and see what we can come up with

Leo

pauldryan
09-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Well...perhaps the fact that it's sponsored by a satellite dealer?

[/ QUOTE ]
I suspect that if you exposed a bunch of cable subs to the wonders of satellite reception and what a bunch of intelligent, handy, manly, (ooops,sorry ladies) subs we are, they'd be switching over faster than a bunch of altar boys at the annual gay pride parade. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Paul

<font color="green">I know that is disgusting. I'm ashamed my metaphors have stooped so low. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

**DONOTDELETE**
09-29-2003, 07:02 PM
LOL! @ Paul...hey wait a sec...

administrator
10-04-2003, 03:03 AM
What's going on? I wanted to read reviews of HDTV sets and typed "avsforum.com" but I end up on a crappy ad page. Is my memory failing me or did something happen to that forum (which was quite the benchmark when it came to HDTV talk)...

Bent
10-04-2003, 03:09 AM
http://www.avscience.com/ takes me to their home page (complete with a link to the forums, but the forums are, as you say, just a crappy ad page)
I hope this gets resolved soon too.

Bent
10-04-2003, 03:16 AM
As per the AVS forum page as of now...
"PLEASE NOTE...DUE TO AN ISP'S NETWORK LINE ISSUE, AVS FORUM IS CURRENTLY DOWN. WE HOPE TO BE BACK ON-LINE IN THE MORNING WHEN THIS IS RESOLVED."

I gues they will be back in the A.M.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-06-2003, 04:16 AM
People seem to be providing links to other forums here. You may wish to consider the following...

http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/index.php

The forum is very similar to DHC.

tat2
10-06-2003, 04:35 AM
57 it is you. I woundered when you would show up here!

(I know you HT pics are the same for DHC and HDTV voice).

You ever mentioned the other fourm before, how come?

There is always room for fourms. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif