PDA

View Full Version : Are Covers worth it ?

**DONOTDELETE**
08-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Hello:

I recently purchased a BEV 6000 system. (Love it !) Are the covers that are available on the market to protect from rain/snow worth it and if so, would they cause any signal problems ?

Thanks in advance.

North0f60
08-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Well i can only speak for here in Yellowknife but everyone I've seen placed on a dish was removed not long after and never put back on again. A gimmick i think.
Don't laugh but i've seen several ppl place an old pickle or mason jar over the lnb and am told it works great for keeping rain water off the lnb as thats the main problem here becuase the dish points down and the lnb points up becuase we are so far north.

DavidH
08-28-2003, 03:22 PM
I would tend to agree that they are a gimmick - but there *is* one situation where a cover can come in handy for a short period of time. That is when you have a forecast of freezing rain or sticky wet snow and your dish is exposed to the point where you are likely to build up a layer of ice. In that case, putting a cover on may prevent a nasty cleanup job, particularly if the temperature is staying well below freezing.

I put garbage bags on my dish during the ice storm in Toronto last April and escaped without ever once losing my signal due to ice buildup. I wouldn't recommend leaving a garbage bag on for more than short period of time, though.

But as a general cureall for rain fade? No way, since rain fade occurs in the atmosphere between the dish and the satellite. Only a tiny amount occurs at the dish itself.

MeSat
08-28-2003, 04:09 PM
I have found that a quick rubbing with car wax will help here as well.

MCIBUS
08-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Well I had a cover on my dish and took it off. It dioes degrade the signal about 5% in signal strenght, which may make the drifference when it rains and your at the so-so mark as in its not raining hard enough to totally not out your signal, but just enough to giver it spurt rain fade. Either than that a cover is only good for 2 things:

1) Protecting you LNB from weather condtions ie SUNs RAYS, RAIN, SNOW, ICE.

2) And hiding the name if you have a GREY MARKET SYSTEM.

fre17dan
08-28-2003, 07:28 PM
I have a 24 inch dish with cover and I have a 98% signal strength. Very happy with the cover, I have seen neighbors with their dish covered in snow/ice while my cover was kept clean.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Wow 98% thats pretty nice, where are you located?

fre17dan
08-29-2003, 12:32 AM
southern quebec, an hour east of Montreal

the receive level varies, I just cheched them all, the current highest 08, 12, 19, 20, 28 all at 96%
the lowest 26 at 88%
exceptionaly 04 at 0%

pauldryan
08-29-2003, 12:46 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I have found that a quick rubbing with car wax will help here as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course if you practice "safe satellite" and always wear a cover, you'll find that you don't need to give it a 'quick rubbing' quite so often. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Mind you, I'm Catholic, so it would be a sin for me to use any kind of "protection". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Paul

Bugsy2
08-29-2003, 02:20 AM
ROTFLMAO! Cheers. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SatMike
08-29-2003, 02:39 AM
So you would probably need a lubricant on yours as opposed to a cover to achieve the same results then? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pauldryan
08-29-2003, 04:29 AM
It's no secret on this board that size does matter and it makes me sad to hear the open "LNB" envy. While there is mounting evidence that practicing "safe satellite" will reduce the frequency of premature signal interruption, experts agree that it's not the size, it's where its put that counts for the greatest customer satisfaction. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Arthur
08-29-2003, 07:28 PM
And if the equipment is not up to standard you could suffer from frequent dropouts. At this point you should change equipment or shorten stroke. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SatMike
09-01-2003, 11:17 PM
"And if the equipment is not up to standard you could suffer from frequent dropouts."

I understand there are aftermarket products that can be used to uphold the signal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif