PDA

View Full Version : Need for American networks ?

ratovan
09-05-2001, 05:30 PM
I've always (in the past) liked to have all channels possible( There must be something on I can watch http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif ), However I am now considering picking and choosing my packages and I'm pretty confident I will NOT pick up the US nets because the popular shows I can get on canadian TV. If needed I can get ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS over the air.

keenataz
09-05-2001, 05:39 PM
Three words NCAA football & basketball. Other than that you guys are right.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-05-2001, 06:55 PM
There is NO WAY I would ever give up the US Nets.

I avoid sim-subs with Spokane and Detroit nets(Detroit has only ATV sim-subs).

damian
09-05-2001, 07:28 PM
American commercials are that important to you? You wouldn't rather have commercials for a local business or product?

ratovan
09-05-2001, 07:32 PM
Here's an interesting question. If I drop the US nets does that include channel 299, the SD channel?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-05-2001, 07:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james:

anyways , my point being , I wonder if I could save a few bucks by eliminating the u.s nets .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only reason I subscribe to the nets is Citytv

**DONOTDELETE**
09-05-2001, 07:43 PM
I like the Calgary Nets. I wish star choice would add CKAL it is the only Calgary station not on SC.

Filthy
09-05-2001, 07:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratovan:
Here's an interesting question. If I drop the US nets does that include channel 299, the SD channel?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dropped US Nets and still get 299!

**DONOTDELETE**
09-05-2001, 09:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by damian:
American commercials are that important to you? You wouldn't rather have commercials for a local business or product?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call me crazy but I detest sim-subs & always avoid them where possible. My hate of sim-subs has developed over years of watching botched sim-subs.

I have not seen any sim-subs on the Spokane nets and am only experiencing ATV sim-subs on the Detroit nets.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-05-2001, 10:23 PM
Quality if you lived in Calgary, Vancouver and Edomton you would see sim subs on Seattle or Spokane, you don't see them now because ATv dosn't run their shows at the same time as western nets. ATV figures it is to late for people to view and those that do is a small number.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 01:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Davidp:
Quality if you lived in Calgary, Vancouver and Edomton you would see sim subs on Seattle or Spokane, you don't see them now because ATv dosn't run their shows at the same time as western nets. ATV figures it is to late for people to view and those that do is a small number.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not watched the Seattle nets much this summer but in a year and a half I don't think that I have ever seen a simsub on the Seattle nets (on SC). However I do know that Shaw Cable in Calgary regularly simsubs the Spokane channels.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 02:39 AM
Sim Subs are all over BEV. That and the reasons listed here convinced me to dump US nets.

I have a 6000 and this means that I get non-sim subbed HDTV! So luckily I get the best of both worlds (no charge, no sim-subbed US net feeds) http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Cheers,
Bruce.

Andrew8468
09-06-2001, 03:04 AM
I get non sim-subbed US nets and it doesn't cost me anything! http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 04:42 AM
Lets face it , not all of us have the same programming tastes and bankbook for spending on certain packages .

Currently , I have the deluxe package . My main viewing interests aside from the center ice package/sports channels is pretty much the popular sitcoms like Frasier , Everybody Loves Raymond etc .. I also enjoy A&E 's various programs such as American Justice ,City Confidential etc..

I am really hoping that BEV doest package the current networks that I enjoy like A&E , TLC , Discovery and a few others ...with networks that I'll have no use for .

Back to my original point . I find that all of the popular sitcoms and other shows like Survivor / Big Brother / are all carried by ONTV or Global or some other popular canadian carrier . So , if someone who doesnt really need the u.s networks fox/cbs/abc/nbc for anything other than these popular sitcoms , I dont really see the point in having them . I dont need them for their morning shows -Regis and Cathy Lee etc.. and I dont watch much nfl football ...

anyways , my point being , I wonder if I could save a few bucks by eliminating the u.s nets .

Filthy
09-06-2001, 04:46 AM
I used to have The Works. I too realized that I never watch the american nets as everything is available on Canadian nets. I dropped the works and chose Locals, Movies, Learning, Variety, Lifestyle and Music (I'll pick up sports once NHL starts again). My programing is $14 a month cheaper and I still watch everything that I did with the works. I think it worked out great for me.

BCTripster
09-06-2001, 06:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bknack:
Sim Subs are all over BEV. That and the reasons listed here convinced me to dump US nets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me this raises an interesting issue, on Bev you specifically have to subscribe to the US networks, in essence you are paying for one set of stations but you're getting something completely different at times. That's called bait and switch, and isn't there laws against this type of thing?

On cable and *C US nets are part of the basic package in most instances, so sim-subs should be allowed there, but as a subscriber to the second set of US nets I do not expect to see sim-subs because I am specifically requesting and paying extra for the right to watch said channels.

I mean if I went to a store and bought a Coke but it turns out it was tainted with Pepsi, I'd have the right to be pissed off and demand a refund.

There just has to be a law against this type of thing.

The simsub rules were put in place to protect local channels, well on satellite that don't matter much when you get every local channel in Canada, when 3 to 26 of them are showing the same stuff I just pick the first the IPG lands on, or my favorite city that week or something.

BTW, I get no simsubs on the Seattle channels either, but I'm also not really inside any local channels market, other than CBC. The rest I can't receive via antenna, so they can stay the hell away from my nets http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BCTripster (edited 09-06-2001).]