PDA

View Full Version : Expressvu HD & Directtv on one dish?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Is it at all possible to have Expressvu HD and Directtv HD setup using only one dish? I am limited and only allowed to have 1 dish put up at my home. I need to be able to have 2 directtv receivers, which is my current setup, and would like to also have Expressvu setup with 2 receivers. Is this possible? and also, is it possible to have the expressvu setup with HD? Any hints, tips or information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Geoff
05-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Nope , you're looking at 2 different points in space.
Paint one to look like brick, she'll never know the difference. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I_Want_My_HDTV
05-13-2003, 06:07 PM
I read somewhere that one US DTH provider is going to 3 satellites, maybe DirecTV. In theory you could use one dish for two providers but the LNB spacing and dish design would need to be correct for the satellite positions. *C and BEV currently use one dish for two satellites. If the satellite spacing is too far apart I think you are SOL.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Well if you didnt need all the HD from DirecTv, instead just their core programming at 101, it would be easy enough. For example I'm using a Dish500 for 82 and 91 from Bev, but I just strapped another lnb to the 91 lnb and that gives me 101 from DirecTv also.

But theres only one HD channel on 101, the HD-PPV. Obviously to get like HBO HD and HDNet that are all the way over on 119, that wouldnt cut it.

When Bev was only using 91, guys were strapping another lnb to the 101 lnb on the DirecTv elliptical dish (which you may have now if you're currently getting HD from DirecTV), but now that 82 is in the mix I think that might be asking a bit much all from the one dish. You could theoretcially just snag the little bit of HD that currently remains at 91 though (no dedicated channels for each Network).

**DONOTDELETE**
05-13-2003, 08:33 PM
That's actually exactly what i want to do. I'm not too concerned with Directtv HD. What i would need though, is the ability to have both Directtv and Expressvu hooked up to 2 receivers. My pops uses Directtv for FoxSports to watch british soccer, and he needs that. But he'd also want to watch Expressvu so we can get rid of cable. Not too keen on Rogers right now. Is it possible to have 2 receivers hooked up to both?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Well in general it's easy enough to run 2 receivers for each because all the lnb's in question could be dual lnb's.

For example, in the first scenario above you'd have 2 outputs on the 101 lnb to run to 2 DirecTv receivers. And then to get the 2 birds from Bev you'd combine an output from the 91 lnb with the 82 lnb via a SW-21 switch to run to one Bev receiver, then do the same thing with the other remaining output of each lnb (connected with another SW-21) to the second receiver.

That wouldnt get you any HD from DirecTv (except for the HD-PPV but it doesnt sound like you even care about their HD afterall).... and then all the regular and HD programming (if you had a Bev 6000) from Bev.

Now bear in mind this whole notion of strapping lnb's on to get an extra bird into the mix above and beyond what a aparticular dish is designed for doesnt come with any guarantees for anybodys particular install/location. I'm just pointing out that that sort of thing has worked for me and others I've read about.

Another thing too is if it turns out that the only birds you'd want would be 82, 91, and 101, that should be able to be accomplished with a DirecTv elliptical dish because that dish is designed to see three birds that are that far apart. Unlike a Dish500 which was designed more for just 2 slots about 9 degrees apart. It just so happens they can both accomdate an extra lnb for another "nearby" slot in some cases.

snoman
05-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Another alternative is a SC e dish. It will work with multiple satellites due to it's elongated shape. Dishnet's new superdish is exactly that, a SC e dish with 3 DBS
LNBs, so strap on a 4th and you're all set.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-14-2003, 12:20 AM
amazing. i think i know what i need now, and i've got a buddy who has a dish with 3 lnb's on it, so i shouldn't have a problem finding the equipment i need. thanks to everyone.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-14-2003, 12:54 PM
If money is no problem check out:
http://www.multilnbdish.com/