PDA

View Full Version : Help: How do I re-wire to add a third STB?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-04-2001, 06:33 PM
I need some free advice on the wiring arrangements for adding a third STB.

With two STBs, one wire from the dish leads to my basement, and the other leads to my family room. For a third STB, I understand that I have to add a multiswitch and that BOTH leads from the dish have to be connected to it. What's the best way to do that?

Seems to me, if I locate the multiswitch in my house, then I'll have to completely re-wire the system. Can I locate the multiswitch outside (eg. on my roof next to the dish (or under the eaves)? That way I can simply splice into the two leads, connect to the multiswitch, then reconnect the two coax runs to the switch and add a third coax run to the third box. But doeson't the multiswich needs AC power? and is the M/switch weatherproof?

What is the recommended way to add a third dish?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-04-2001, 07:09 PM
Are you talking about Star Choice? Do you have elliptical or single sat dish? Are the LNBF's stacked or non stacked?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-04-2001, 09:49 PM
BEV system. Standard installation. Not stacked (neither my system nor my wife, sadly).

**DONOTDELETE**
09-04-2001, 10:18 PM
You can mount a multi-switch outside. There are powered and non-powered versions. I HIGHLY recommend that you get a powered version; they are usually more reliable. You can get one that lets you mount it outside and feed the power through the existing coax so you won't need to re-wire anything. The multi-switch replaces the ground block and you can use all existing wiring. The third STB connects to an output port on the multi-switch.

If you want to plan ahead and will be getting service from ExpressVu's second slot (82 degrees when it goes in service in 2003) you may want to consider getting a Dish Network SW-44 switch NOW instead of a multi-switch . It will work with your present dish (you will NOT need a dual slot dish or second dish until the 82 degree bird is in service). The SW-44 acts somewhat like a multi-switch in that it has four outputs. It also has four inputs (for two dual LNBs) but you will only need to use two inputs from your present LNB. The SW-44 mounts outside and the power is feed to it from the coax that feeds the first receiver. At the first receiver there is a power inserter that feeds power from a wall wart power supply to the coax. If you get a SW-44 now instead of a multi-switch you will not need to replace the multi-switch when multi-slot (91 and 82 degrees) service comes. Since the ExpressVu receivers do not have multi-slot software by default the SW-44 will stay locked on the 91 degree slot.

Bill R

[This message has been edited by Bill R (edited 09-04-2001).]

GOD
09-05-2001, 12:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sat Guy:
BEV system. Standard installation. Not stacked (neither my system nor my wife, sadly).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha...this guy has a sense of humour ! http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Get a stacked one Sat Guy . That should solve your dish probs for awhile . http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
11-11-2001, 04:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill R:
... The SW-44 mounts outside and the power is feed to it from the coax that feeds the first receiver. At the first receiver there is a power inserter that feeds power from a wall wart power supply to the coax. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am FINALLY getting around to installing my 3rd STB, a BEV 5100, so I have resurrected this topic.

Bill R, thanks for the advice. You are listed as a "retired engineer", so I will trust you! But I don't fully understand your previous posting:

You refer to a "power inserter that feeds power from a wall wart power supply to the coax." What exactly is that? Is that another piece of equipment that I need to order?

I have found a Canadian supplier on the net foer the Echostar SW-44, but no mention of this peripheral.

You can reach me off-list at satguy@ottawa.com, but there may be others on the discussion forum that would be interested (or could provide) the answer.

BTW, that do I do with the unoccupied spigots on the SW-44? Just cap 'em with a standard connector? (I'm mounting outside.)

mikealex
11-11-2001, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sat Guy:
You refer to a "power inserter that feeds power from a wall wart power supply to the coax." What exactly is that? Is that another piece of equipment that I need to order?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A wall wart just means a transformer type plug. You know those big black blobs that most electronics stuff comes with today. The SW-44 should come with it.

The power inserter is just a block that goes on the coax, and puts the DC power from the wall wart onto the coax to power the SW-44. Again, I expect the SW-44 will come with one, but you may want to double check when you order it.

BTW, you will LOVE the 5100. You can have mine when you pry my cold dead hands from it! Just make sure that after it has been activated, and the new software is downloaded, reinitialize the harddisk, and do a memory dump.

I copied these instructions from a post by psykob in an older thread:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Procedure of Memory dump and erase Harddisk:

Memory dump:

Press MENU, 6 , 3
press INFO, RIGHT, LEFT
You are in "nvram" now.
press TV/VIDEO.
press 5 sec on power at the front of the 5100.
The 5100 shutdown and restart automaticly, do nothing.

After make a Hard disk reset:

Press MENU, 6, 3,
press INFO, RIGHT, LEFT
You are in "nvram" now.
press STOP
press 5 sec on power at the front of the 5100.
The 5100 shutdown and restart automaticly, do nothing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...Mike

[This message has been edited by mikealex (edited 11-11-2001).]

mikealex
11-12-2001, 01:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by digitalnoise:
Could you email-me the url of the supplier

digitalnoise@hotmail.com

Thx<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I wouldn't mind receiving that too. My email address is mikealex@playground.net

Thanks,
...Mike

**DONOTDELETE**
11-12-2001, 05:26 AM
Snip... By Dig.

I have found a Canadian supplier on the net foer the Echostar SW-44, but no mention of this peripheral.

Snip, Snip...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you email-me the url of the supplier

digitalnoise@hotmail.com

Thx

**DONOTDELETE**
11-12-2001, 01:56 PM
To find a Cdn dealer, I did a search using http://www.google.ca and used the keyword "SW-44" and "Dish". (Click the "Pages from Canada" bullet.) I ended up with a dealer near Hyde Park (outskirts of London Ont).

I am reluctant to buy from that place, though, because of some of the other merchandise offered on their web site. So I was planning to visit a couple of dealers in the Ottawa area to see if I could find one locally.

And yes, I checked Kusat's database first.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-13-2001, 08:28 PM
Grrrrrrr. Boy, am I stupid.

Rather than following the good advice of Bill R, I gave up trying to find a SW-44 and bought a $99 RCA multiswitch from Future Shop. I spend Sunday afternoon on a ladder attaching the durn thing to the side of my house, with frozen fingers, and running a 3rd coax lead to my family room for my 3rd STB. Then I go in the house, and it's not working! Only half the channels come up! OK, outside again, get ladder out of garage, up the ladder, and switch the "A" and "B" feeds on the multiswitch. Same problem. Now too cold & dark, so have to start over next Saturday. All because I wanted to save a lousy $100 on a professional installer -- who are too busy to come to my home right now.

Questions: Any idea why the RCA multiswitch would not operate? It says it's for dual LNBs. Does it matter which lead from the dish I attach to the "A" and "B" side of the multiswitch? If it does, then why wouldn't it work after I switched them?

Thanks!

mikealex
11-13-2001, 09:37 PM
Grrrrrrr. Boy, am I stupid.

Rather than following the good advice of Bill R, I gave up trying to find a SW-44 and bought a $99 RCA multiswitch from Future Shop. I spend Sunday afternoon on a ladder attaching the durn thing to the side of my house, with frozen fingers, and running a 3rd coax lead to my family room for my 3rd STB. Then I go in the house, and it's not working! Only half the channels come up! OK, outside again, get ladder out of garage, up the ladder, and switch the "A" and "B" feeds on the multiswitch. Same problem. Now too cold & dark, so have to start over next Saturday. All because I wanted to save a lousy $100 on a professional installer -- who are too busy to come to my home right now.

Questions: Any idea why the RCA multiswitch would not operate? It says it's for dual LNBs. Does it matter which lead from the dish I attach to the "A" and "B" side of the multiswitch? If it does, then why wouldn't it work after I switched them?

Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a bad multiswitch to me. It doesn't matter which lead goes to which input on the switch, as long as you aren't feeding one of them to the cable input (if your multiswitch has one).

Just out of curiosity, why are you mounting the multiswitch outside? I put mine in the basement, where the satellite cable enters the house, so I wouldn't have to run extra wires through an outside wall.

...Mike

dishguy
11-13-2001, 09:51 PM
Sounds like one side of the LNBF is not working or the multi-switch is not switching for you.
Seeing as you were using both sides of the LNBF before I am betting on a faulty multi-switch.
Is it a multiswtitch with a transformer(plugs in to wall) or receiver powered?

I have had better luck with the externally powered ones myself.
Some have both options but don't come with the transformer.

If you have access to a meter, one side(A or B) should put out 18 volts the other(A or B) 14 volts.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-13-2001, 10:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikealex:
Just out of curiosity, why are you mounting the multiswitch outside? I put mine in the basement, where the satellite cable enters the house, so I wouldn't have to run extra wires through an outside wall.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question.

My current intallation has both sat leads terminating on a grounded block, half way up the side of my house, then two home-run wires from there to holes in the house that lead to STBs #1 & 2 respectively. Because I don't have one of those fancy shmancy tools for splicing coax and adding the connectors to the ends, I figured the easiest solution was to replace the gounding block with a multiswitch, and route a 3rd home run wire (with conectors already in place) around the exterior to the electrical panel, which is right below the room with STB #3. Yeah, had to drill another hole there. (That was after 2 hrs tying to route the 3rd coax run inside the house through heating ducts/cold air registers, but gave up in dispair...)